Working with a licensed real estate professional can seem pretty scary. However, it might be even scarier to try and list your house for sale by owner without any guidance. One of our Okemos agents/associate broker Terry Lasky has provided us with some reasons that explain why working with a REALTOR® is ideal, and how this protects the interests of both buyers and sellers.
1. Agents know the paperwork. “A REALTOR® is going to help you negotiate the contract, and will use a local association form which will be standard to the area,” Lasky said. “As a seller, your agent makes sure you have the proper seller disclosures filled out.” By taking care of the paperwork for you, working with an agent will save you some hassle when it comes to real estate details.
2. Agents know prices. Lasky said agents can help you with everything from deciding the value of your home to marketing your listings on all websites and social media platforms. Real estate professionals can also help you make wiser decisions about resale, true costs of buying and selling, and other numbers.
3. Agents know how to find you what you need. Working as real estate professionals in the area, agents you want to work with should be exceptional at finding you great homes for great prices in the places you want to live in. Agents have many inside tricks that will find what you need quicker than ever.
4. Agents know the process. “When an offer is received, your agent can help negotiate it,” Lasky said. “Then, your agent will handle title company order payoffs, title work, and the closing.” This help from your agent will leave you with little to worry about after you buy or sell your home.
5. Agents can educate you. Lasky said that as buyer’s agents, REALTORS® will take care of setting up all of the showings and make sure buyers are fully aware of any issues with the home. As seller’s agents, REALTORS® also work hard to make sure only qualified buyers are touring the home.
Lastly, Lasky noted that it is important to always work with an agent that you feel comfortable with and who you can communicate well with. It is also wise to make sure you are working with a reputable lender so your transaction will close.